About This Project
The 18th century Grade 1 listed Anglican church of St Martin-in-the-Fields in Trafalgar Square is one of London’s landmark buildings. Designed by James Gibbs and completed in 1726 it is now known worldwide as both a place of worship and a concert venue.
During 2007 the church underwent a major refurbishment and Stevensons of Norwich were employed for all the significant specialist plasterwork needed to be undertaken.
These specialist works included a survey, report and repair/securing regime to the lime plaster and lathe nave barrel vault ceiling. Further lime plaster repairs were undertaken as and where needed throughout the church and a new plaster dome and other decorative features were manufactured and installed as part of the project.
St-Martin-in-the-Fields is one of a number of buildings in Trafalgar Square where Stevensons have been employed – others include the National Gallery, Canada House, South Africa House, Grand Buildings and (just round the corner) the Coliseum Theatre.
Our series of plaster vaulted ceilings in the pavement colonnade of Grand Buildings manufactured and installed by us over 20 years ago can be viewed near Waterstones book shop.